Tuesday, June 13, 2006

BET Award Predictions: I Guess, You Guess Part II

On May 17th, I began the countdown to the BET Music Awards. Since then, there haven't been any other posts on predictions, but with the show a mere two weeks away - what better time than now to get back into the swing of things?

Just to be clear, I am by no means an avid BET watcher. In fact, besides 106 & Park and Uncut, I can't name any other programming on the station. And not until I heard Jacquie Reid on the the Steve Harvey Morning show was I told that BET Nightly News got the ax a while ago. So for any potential blogging/intellectual elitist who happen to find this page and wonder why the attention on BET Awards - simply put: I am a musician and this is my industry. I.GIVE.A.DAMN.

Moving on...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best Female R&B Artist

Beyonce
Mary J. Blige
Mariah Carey
Keyshia Cole
India.Arie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First and foremost, I'd like to say that I think it's admirable that India.Arie was added to this category or nominees - however, she won't win. Not that I don't like India or that she's not worthy of the nomination, but quite frankly she's had a very quite year compared to at least two other nominees. Beyond that, she hasn't provided anything to the music world that was fresh, innovative or really memorable. I'm not even sure what she actually received this nomination for: her songwriting skills for the Tyra show (*I'm being a smart ass*), her songwriting skills for Stevie Wonder on his latest LP, 'A Time to Love' or for the newest addition to the Gospel of India, "I am Not My Hair?"The album from which this single is spawned, isn't slated to drop until August of this year. Either way, I look forward to the next step in India.Arie's music evolution - but at this point, for me, she's plateaued.

Beyonce. I pray to the good lawd above she doesn't win. Actually, I think its a long shot. Please remind what she's done this year with the exception of that Pink Panther joint - everything else has been a DC3 effort. It's nice to show deference to the "hottest chick in the game" (c) Young Hov, but I can save my prayers for something more important like finishing my CD. *smile*

Keyshia Cole had a great debut season. She really showed her "arse" on 'Love.' And although I was slow to warm to Keyshia, I really like her and I'd like to see what she does in the future. But one great single isn't enough to pull her to the top of the ranks in this category.

Which leads me to my picks as the two top contenders: MiMi and Brook-lyn *cough* Personally, I'd like to see Mary take it away, but I think Mimi might steal this one . Here's why: a lot of critics are less than enthused by a happy Mary, thus the Breakthrough, which for me was amazing (have you heard Mary's voice?), didn't meet their expectations of the pain-stricken, struggling Mary they fell in love with. Mimi on the other hand is the iconic come back kid (literally, cus she dresses like she's 13). Mariah's proverbial fall from grace brought on by a slew of subpar albums and her single-handed to ding a (double digit) multimillion dollar recording deal with Virgin Records had us feeling like Mimi was lost forever. But the biggest hit of 2005 - We Belong Together - runs circles around Mary's first Breakthrough single "Be Without You." And through it all - terrible Grammy performances and such - Mariah is THAT Diva.

We are happy for Mary because she has got her life together and has never sounded better. But Mariah, though I begrudgingly admit it - keeps us interested and waiting.

As always, I'd like to know what you think!

Previous Prediction Post(s):
I Guess, You Guess, Part I: Best Male R&B Artist

*I'll be waiting*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your analysis, the Comeback Kid will take this category.

But I have to beg to differ with the following quote: "didn't meet their expectations of the pain-stricken, struggling Mary they fell in love with."

I think that was true with No More Drama, but I have alot of critics have seemed to accept the new Mary with The Breakthrough. So, has her fans.

Also, "I Am Not My Hair" Akon Remix is hot.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree but you never know. they may surprise us. and i love "i am not my hair"; although im not sure why she was nominated since she hasnt come out with an album.

and i love mary's album...much more than mariah's...although i own both.

--jamz

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home