Thursday, August 10, 2006

I've Made Up My Mind...To Define My Own Destiny...

Thanks Brian for your comment on the last post about "risk." Thanks Stevie for reminding me that "greater risks yeild even greater rewards." Thank you to my friends who have listened to me sway back and forth between staying in corporate america or leaving. And most importantly, I thank God for answering my prayer. Because although I had faith that he has a plan for me, I prayed that he would give me the eyes to see, the ears to hear and the mind to understand (at least partially) the plan he'd ordained.

Finally, I've come to a decision...

I have decided that I will not pursue other job opportunities within my current organization, nor will I pursue (at the present time) a 40 hour-a-week desk job. I am finally making the leap to pursue music full-time.

This moment in my life has been in the making for at least a decade.

I'd been hesitant to come to this decision initially because simply "taking time off to do music" didn't really seem like the right course. But yesterday it occurred to me, there are some goals that I'd set for myself, in terms of music development, that weren't attainable because of my work schedule.

09.16.06 is Liberation Day...

At the end of my 60 days, I've decided to go back to school! Music School! Well, not quite. I am going to create an intensive program through the MGray Music Academy in North Hollywood.

It will consist of the following:
- Private Voice Lessons
- Sight Singing
- Guitar and/or Piano - I'd like to take both, but it depends on finances.
- Singwriting and Composition - I'd like to have a strong focus on melody development

These four areas will help me become a stronger songwriter and a more versatile singer. All of which are necessary to sing for a living....

And then....

I will pick up a job back at Crate and Barrell or ZGallerie or try my hand at waitressing. Either way, I'll need a job that provides me wages plus tip-share or commissions, especially since I am planning to move to NYC within the next 6-8 months. I need to save, save, save!

I've shared the news with my mom - she was speechless initially. She said that she and my father thought I would live a more "traditional life." And I'm sure everything to the point now has led them to believe that I would. But that's just a different generation talking...

More on this later, I need to head to work.

*ciao*

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl! I can feel the relief of you having made your decision. You are young and have your education to fall back on should you need to take 9 to 5's every now and again to get current on expenses. Going full time at your singing career (which is exactally what I'm helping GOLDFINGAZ to be able to do and although he is uneasy with it, he must use me to fall back on since no college degree) is a necessary effort for success. Remember there is a difference between a job and a career. A job is what people may need to do while pursuing their careers. My hat is off to you as many are so afraid of taking risks they waist valuable time dwelling in the security of what seems to be available to them career wise while wishing they could be doing what's in their heart. I've always felt that "I'm employable where ever I go" so relocating GOLDFINGAZ to LA didn't scare me at all and you should not be scared to get out there in the world. Keep us up to date, this is just starting to get interesting and we all wish you success. Lendell (mother and manager of GOLDFINGAZ)

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl...

just remember that many of the successful ones in business, entertainment, etc did not take the "traditional" route to realize their dreams. Yeah there's a risk involved just like in everything that you do. But your choices are smart ones and you're doing what you need to do to push on toward the next level. Just as I have (surprisingly in my mind) inspired people with the start of my business this past Spring, you inspire me with your determination and drive to accomplish your goals. You're in my prayers girl.

ps...man i miss sight singing...

--jamz

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you making the decision to take those classes. That's what will set you aside from other singers: the fact that you are a musician who uses their voice as an instrument... not just a singer
Holla at me

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You already know how I feel about this so no need for a long message. Let's get it popping! I'm so glad you made your decision and now it's time to make major moves and take that journey to the top:)
-FLR

8:40 AM  
Blogger Rell said...

Congratulations, there is nothing wrong with following your dreams. I wish you so much success in this endeavor/dream and if there is anything i can do to help let me know.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know how i feel. and you know that i will support what you decide to do. now, that the writing is on the wall...the girl next door is ready to show the world that she is so much more...

the honorable

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home