Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Audition...

So today (technically, it would be yesterday) I auditioned for the Elvis tour. Although I don't know whether I was cast or not officially, I'd say that I am not going to get the gig. It's not any reflection on my potential or natural talent, it's just that well, my skills needs work.

Yeah, that's right - my skill needs work. My ear training is not as strong as it once was and I found myself needing just a bit longer than the other vocalists to nail the notes. Although the MD was a sweetheart, easing my harmonic discontent initially, I felt as though I was out of my league.

Years ago this would have been classified as a train wreck - immaturity would have veiled it as such. Instead, however, I am prompted to add a few items to my 'Summer Action Plan' in order to get my skill sets back up to par.

I will:
- Begin Vocal Training once again
- Teach myself to play the guitar (that I've owned now for quite some time now)

This past Sunday at the studio, I was blown away by how many of the people around me have perfect pitch - or even relative pitch. My freshman year of college was the first time I'd learned that anyone could have perfect pitch - ie hearing a fire alarm and identifying it as a Bflat, maybe. I thought this gift was only bestowed on a rare few musically geniuses, but in fact, it's about practice and persistence.

Why would any of this be relevant you may ask? Why I am so inclined to attain a certain level of skill?

Simply put, I'd like to work in the Music Business and the Record Business. My 'Summer Action Plan' recently only addressed my needs for the Record Business - ie, dance lessons and completing my demo...

You may be wondering what's the difference between the two, but that's a whole other topic for another day.

*Going to Sleep after I tune my guitar*

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Artist Development...All of this is going to take you where you need to go.
-FLR

8:01 AM  
Blogger Cocacy said...

Great idea to be as well rounded and as knowledgeable about the business as you can be. Good luck with the guitar.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Sangindiva said...

My take on this audition is this:
To me it was a blessing because it showed
you first hand what you are going up against
when you start doing this for a living.
It showed you on your own personal measuring
stick where you are and where you need to be.
That's ALWAYS good to know.
I've learned that there are sooo many people who
want this just as bad as you do. I always tell people:
"While you're sleeping...I'm practicing." And that's REAL.

When singing is ALL you do- you HAVE to be on top of your game or your phone doesn't ring, the checks don't
come and you don't eat... ( and baby TRUST me the Sangindiva loves martinis and SHRIMP!! ) hahaha!

I'm rooting for you Ms. Elle. There is one other thing I have learned and it is a very important lesson-
There is enough money out there for EVERYONE
to get paid. How many zeros behind the comma
is up to you.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home