Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Er'Day I'm Hustlin'...

Or so it seems.

At the BMI event I attended last week, the panelists spoke about the importance of an artist's team. Me and FLR have been talking a lot lately about what my next steps are to get things poppin' It's no secret to the people around me - co-workers included - that I'd soon like to quit the 40 hour/wk gig and pursue music 100% of the time. It's also no secret that I won't be able to pull that off on my own, working 40-hours/wk. So I need to reconvene my former team and figure out where adjustments or additions need to be made.

Here's my 'Action Plan:'

Creative Team:
1. Producers: My producers are pretty good - but I've found that each one is limited in some capacity that continues to lead to incomplete projects (songs). So my goal for my producers is two-fold:
a. Create small recording budget to complete all incompleted songs.
b. Network to meet new producers to create new music and continue to develop my sound.

2. Songwriting: Tuna Butter and I have forged quite a productive songwriting relationship. DJ OK and I are looking to create a catalog of material for placement and try to get some publishing money generated. And Goldfingaz and I have a promising future. Here are my plans
a. Continue to write lyrics and melodies weekly - at least one new song/concept a week.
b. Write songs for other artists/singers to adapt to different song styles.
c. Network to meet new songwriters to better my skills
d. Take a commercial songwriting class - I need to write better hooks.

3. Other:
a. Dance, Dance, Dance: Research and enroll in a weekly dance class to assist with stage presence and all around movement. I never considered myself a dancing/pop act, but it can't hurt to do more than my "step-in-the-name-of-love" groove.
b. Styling: While I already have a stylist, we need a budget and we need to aggressively solicit designers to outfit me for performances and photo ops.

4. Photographer: I haven't decided whether I am going to take another shoot since my hair is short because quite frankly I think I might reinstate the weave this fall. In any event, here is what needs to happen.
a. Select additional photos from shoot with jeromeduchange.com for my files
b. Network with new photographers to experiment with new looks.

Professional Team:
1. Manager: I need a manager, ASAP. While my mom was my "interim-manager" she's not in a place in her life where she can effectively pull off this role. In dealing with new opportunities that arise and even strumming up new opportunities, a manager is necessary.
a. Research management pros and cons
b. Research managers/management companies

2. Public Relations: I have a publicist so I am good in this area. I just need to be doing something to give her something to do.

3. Marketing & Promotions: My marketing/promotions company is Elevatedla.com. My biy, GV, has great ideas but as with my publicist, there isn't much to market or promote right now. However some things I'd like for us to pursue in the near future:
a. Elle B. hosting weekly Urban music talent night
b. Creating an action plan/distribution stream to DJs of mixtape and Elle B. single
c. Elle B. branding - business cards done ASAP. Collateral and premium concepts and design for LP release.

These are my action plans for the summer. Between now and labor I look to have 100% of these items attended to.

*ciao for now*

6 Comments:

Blogger Sangindiva said...

I think that you have a great plan in place Ms. Elle.
I love your focus and drive. I am very proud of you.
Wishing you the best of success.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need to come by the crib one day so that I can work on songs from scratch rather than my making beats and you picking from them. I always work better when I compose songs with an intial focus rather than just making another beat.
HOLLA AT THINE TUNA!!!!!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Hendrix said...

Ms. Ball its been so long. Wassup, its Jason from the foundation. I happened to see you were on this blog site thru Mike's page. Just wanted to drop you a line and tell you your plan sounds great. Just make sure to follow up on it. Also, I know a great producer, his beats are sick. He's on myspace, his name is Nick.

www.myspace.com/st_nick04

Hit him up. Tell him I sent you.

I also have a blog site on here now too.

www.believehype.blogspot.com

Check me out. Tell me what you think. Hope all is well. Continue to do great things.

100% - Jason

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manager Research: Samuel French bookstore has a monthly publication called "The Perfect Manager" or something like that. They also have The Perfect Agent, The Perfect Casting Agent and so on. This is published monthly in Hollywood and you can read up on all top manager in the industry, pick some and write to them - so that You can interview Them to see if you want them on your team. You can also find out about classes and much more information at Samuel French. Good Luck and let me know what you discover, 'cause GOLDFINGAZ needs a manager too! Lendell

9:43 AM  
Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

At least you have a game plan going which is good if you no longer desire to work a 9-5 job. I was just passing by, glad I did.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good plan...good stuff...i like your marketing ideas...the company that did my business cards did an excellent job if you wanna check them out.

-jamz

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home