Thursday, March 09, 2006

No False Idols...

So last night my boy suggested that I come out with an RnB mixtape. I had considered the idea before, so I was open to the suggestion. Figuring, I'm not too sure what may happen with the label yet, I'm not too sure that I want to move forward with putting out a full independent album, but I still need a product in the meantime for performances, promos, ect. I was feeling it - even woke up this morning with the idea on the brain.

But this morning in Gmail Chat...he had another suggestion - that I try out for American Idol.

He made some valid points as to why and how AI could be beneficial to my career:
1. Exposure
2. Exposure
3. Exposure

which is to sum up all of his points (although he said a lot more than that).

He also listed the various idols who were "losers" on the show but went on to have amazing careers:

1. Kelly Clarksen
2. Bo Bice
3. Fantasia

and the list goes on. But having tried out for Diddy's MTB sophomore year of college and not making the cut, I learned this...

That while these shows are have their benefits, their success is mitigated by so many other factors and you have to 'fit' what they are looking for (althoug that's the the industry - everyone is looking for a 'type'). With MTB, I wasn't 'hood' enough. And who knows, I may get far on AI, but I'm just not interested.

And if I am going to be rejected, I'd rather not be being humiliated by a Brit, fomer Laker girl...and well, eh, Randy's cool with me (he can rip a guitar).

You may counter my sentiments by reminding me that this is the entertainment business, one lends to the other. True as that may be, so is the circus but that doesn't mean I'll fit. My concern is that in order to be taken seriously, you have to present yourself that way - cattle call auditions and scathing unwarranted criticism for ratings somehow don't equate to the pursuite of success.

Instead, I think my energy would be best spent grinding to network and make solid contacts with people in the industry instead of stunting on Fox Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I personally don't think a "serious" creator of music would go the way of AI, unless they are a judge - and even then that's up for debate.

I've been known to sit high up on my high horse, so I'm asking...what do you think?

*p.s. thanks SH for all of your suggestions, they are appreciated and dully considered. this post in not meant to prompt a personal convo*

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait im confused...kelly and fantasia won american idol....i agree with you though...you have to make a decision about what you wanna do for your career and stick to it...there are many different ways to go to get into the business. you have to believe in what you're doing and hustle to get it done...

--jamz

2:01 PM  
Blogger Elle B. said...

You're right about Fantasia and Kelly..that's my bad.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do I think? I think that you should TRY every possibility available to get noticed. We don't think that the AI contestants aren't serious about their careers. Exposure, Exposure, Exposure - win and then release your album to those 150,000,000 people that voted for you. Also, the Brit and the Cheerleader are music industry professionals that may have some career altering or enhancing advice to give you - most can only dream of going before them for a critique. Remember that you can only do these contests until you do one professional job (something with a contract) and no more chances for American Idol type fame (ametures only. If you have signed any type of professional contract ever, you won't even be eligable to audition for Diddy or AI. Try everything, try harder, try more often - Lendell

3:48 PM  
Blogger Fresh said...

Yeah, I was about to say I could have sworn that Fantasia WON. LOL

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i say you should try out for hte biggest loser and or celebrity fit challenge i think that would be better...

11:49 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

LOL @ the anonmymous e-thugger. Lauren has haters. Hooray. You've arrived.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home