Thursday, January 05, 2006

Southern Hospitality in So Cal?

Well, yes..because Texas won the 92nd Rose Bowl this evening and did so graciously. Every single, Longhorn (with the exception of one druken bastard who almost got my quaint size 9 up his derriere), was really nice. No beef *no pun intended* to speak of...just earnest love of the game.

Even after the Trojan loss *I refuse to call it a defeat, because I think we defeated ourselves* a couple of Longhorns came up to my dad and shook his hand while telling him, "You played a great game tonight, really classy." Um, my dad is neither Ronnie Lott nor Rodney Peete, but whatever - we'll take it regardless of who you may think he is. *Really it was strange*

I think we could have learned something from this graciousness, so to speak. Particularly on the field, in the first half of play - where we failed to convert two Texas giveaways into points on the board. My roomate reminded me, "hon, the offense puts points on the board, but the defense wins the game." Well consider Fresno State or Notre Dame this very season - it has been the offense that has compensated for our less than well stacked Defensive line *Frostee, Darnell and Scott should never have to be on the field almost the entire game because we've got noone else*

I am happy that Jarret scored and that Reggie scored - they were both really beautiful plays that will make the reels over and over again. But I think my beloved Coach Carrol got a little hollywood in the head because it seemed that the first half of the game was about "attempting" to make some really great reel plays, instead of really playing the game. *But LenDale went to work in spite of this* But that's just my humble opinion. To that end, it wasn't gracious - it was pretentious...something our good ole Texas boys checked at the door for this match up.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Trojan defect - in fact, I think only a true fan can feel comfortable enough to scrutinize the decisions/plays of her favorite team and still say that she LOVES HER TROJANS for life. My roomate was also surprised that I didn't feel overwhelmingly dejected by the loss - as for her, "this" USC is not used to losing. But I remember not so long ago when USC was losing and we only made it to the Holiday Bowl in Las Vegas and lost there. The following year, we had a Heisman winner and a victory over Michigan at the Rose Bowl for one of the top ranks in the nation. My, my, my, how things change, in so little time. And although we know Matt is going pro, and probably Reggie now too and a host of other guys, I don't know when we are going to get another glimpse at "The Best Team Ever." Who knows? Time will tell, I'm sure.

In closing, I am happy for Texas and for Vince Young. He (and he alone with a little assistance along the way) outplayed two Heisman winners tonight, but then again, they aren't defensive linemen - so it's still relative. He has the National Championship, but SC still has 7 Heisman winners and this is a historical team - we aren't finished yet especially if my boy Lendale comes back for another season.

G'night

5 Comments:

Blogger Rell said...

http://www.dailytrojan.com/media/paper679/news/2005/10/11/Sports/Espn-Columnist.Not.Feeling.Much.Love.From.Her.Trojan.Family-1016169.shtml?norewrite&sourcedomain=www.dailytrojan.com

7:31 AM  
Blogger James Manning said...

That dang on game was crazy. Defense, can I see some defense. Well, at least Penn State, Ohio State and Wisconsin won. Afterall, it really is about Big Ten football.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Go Hiram Clarke!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Rell said...

lol, i thought defense's played well and they gave up 11000 yards of offense.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Cocacy said...

Hey Elle! I am really loving how you re-did your site. Its beautiful. I'd love to discuss On Beauty with you. Just hit me up anytime. Thanks for the posts on my blog as well. I have another book suggestion for you...The Kite Runner. Its absolutely amazing. Talk to you soon. Many blessings for the New Year!!!

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home