Sunday, December 18, 2005

My favorite number 5...

So I've been slacking, slightly, on my pimping (in the proverbial sence, of course) cus I didn't know I was called out TWICE by two of my favoritist bloggers, TriniPrincess and TheCynicalOnes, to share 5 random "tidbits" *or at least I think that's what they've been calling em'* about myself.

Seeing as how this blog is dedicated, in large part, to my music career, I'll share with you "tidbits" bout that...

1. I was the understudy (read: back-up) for Mya to sing "One Voice" in a tribute to Harry Belafonte at the NAACP Image Awards (in 2000, I believe). The fear was that she wouldn't get the song down in time enough for the performance and so I rehearsed the leads in anticipation that it might go down. In the end, she sang the song and also performed in the show - as part of the choir. It all turned out for the best, though, because I lost my voice only an hour before we were to perform from rehearsing so my times.

2. One of my biggest fears is not failure, it is the perception that I am stupid. This was one of my primary motivators for going to college before pursuing a music career. I've never been the best student, quite frankly, I'm lazy - I f*ck up with easy courses and excel in interesting/challenges subjects. But, I never wanted it to be said, that my success was because of someone else's intellect and I was just a pawn (who got lucky). Plus I really dig and admire intellectuals.

3. I love singing because of other singers. The first time I ever heard Lauryn Hill sing, I cried. I was in a movie theater, watching Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. I cried because her voice is truly transcedent - almost etheral because there was never any voice like it. Listening to voices like hers and others (ie Donny Hathaway, Nina Simone, Jamie Foxx *acoustic*) invokes so much emotion - it's like hitting the nerve of my soul. I want to do that same thing to people - I have faith in myself, that I can and will.

4. I was a bookcover model for a BET Arabesque book a few years ago (or at least it seemed like it). It was really random because the photographer/art director saw my picture in a photo album and picked me out the be on the cover. This is what it looks like:

5. I believe that God has truly set a course for my life and my music career and that nothing to date has happened by coincidence. From birth (my mother lost her voice for a large part of the time she was carrying me *and she's also a singer*) to the people I've met, to the opportunities I've been granted. I just believe that he knows his child (read: me) the desires of my heart, which has to do with the fact that I love what I do, but I also know that he's not positioning me for my own glory and edification, but for HIS - as such, I am always getting ready for when I am called to do HIS work, for real.

K...next 5 to be "called out:"
1. Rell
2. Courtney
3. Jamila
4. Berry
5. Alvin

*Later ppl.*

5 Comments:

Blogger Fresh said...

Damn, damn, damn!!! I done got called out again! This has been a memetatic December to remember. I've been dreading this because believe it or not I'm pretty private [insert irony HERE] but I'll do my best to find some tidbits....if I have to.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Fresh said...

By the way, that cover is so cute!

4:01 AM  
Blogger Elle B. said...

Thanks Berry! I have the funniest story about the shoot.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ack ive been tagged...im random so enjoy...

jamz

11:39 AM  
Blogger Fresh said...

I LOVE THE REDESIGN!!!!! That's hot!

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home