Monday, December 05, 2005

Karma is an Angry Black Woman...

Yes, I am the stick figure in green in this drawing.

People fall everyday. Toddlers learning to walking are especially prone to it. Drunk people too. Also, those afflicted with inner ear problems. Me, though, not usually.

See I knew today wasn't going to be - well - the most balanced. As I was walking to the bus this morning, I could tell my right ankle was a little shaky - I figured it had something to do with where I latched closed the strap around my ankle and not a forshadowing of my pumel to earth in the near future.

Once I arrived to the office, I decided to treat myself to a tall-iced-soy-carmel-macchiato (I've concluded, by the way, that iced is better than hot in the macchiato family). In order to get to Starbcuks, a person has to walk down a three steps succession with landings in between.

I didn't even make it past the first set of 3, when my left foot snagged, I noticed my arms flailing above my head in an effort to regain balance and then decided not to PANIC and just fall - cus any other contortion of my body would surely lead to greater injury.

While I am falling, time ticks on in slow motion, because I hear a person crying out loud "OH NO!" and notice a mid-life couple coming up the stairs in my direction, oh and the concrete. Once I've fallen, I sit and assess my pain level - wondering if I've broken anything (since I'm in 3 in pumps) and notice the couple coming towards me, asking "Are you okay?" Determined not be make a scene, I jump up - with as much "jump" as I could muster - declare that I am in fact okay and head towards Starbucks.

I landed on my left knee and ankle.

In line at Starbucks, noone seems to have noticed my fall. So in this environment, I begin to worry less about saving face and realize the shock of what just happened. I almost cry out of fear. Moments where I have no control - scares the hell outta me. I don't cry. I button my lip until it's my turn to give the barista my drink order.

When it was all said and done, I am happy my fall wasn't worse. My knee was bruised and bleeding a little - but it's now bandaged. I'll forget about it in a couple of days (provided my ankle doesn't become more sore).

At the end of the day, however, there was no real reason why I just fell like that. No small trip into a fall...no moment of being caught of guard by a delinquent bird...

I have only to conclude, that it was Karma for all the times I've laughed at some else fall and bust thier chops. Karma - she's an angry black woman who just taught me a lesson.

Peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cocacy said...

Girl, it happens to the best of us. Try this on for size. I was coming home from church in Harlem and I was on the 2/3 train. The seats were all filled and I was standing up against the door. I was so busy reading my New Yorker magazine that I didn't notice that I was leaning against the door that was opening. It opened and I did a back flip out of the door. I was in pain and the whole care was laughing at me. I was mortified.
:( Consider your fall tame compared to that !!! :)

8:40 PM  
Blogger Fresh said...

Ohhhh, falling is the WORST. Last time I fell in public I broke my foot. Not a good move. Another time I feel off a curb into the street. This being New York, no one helped me and some people just laughed at me. I busted up my knee pretty badly. I limped away feeling sorry for myself. My favorite part of your story was when you could hear the person say "oh no!" Glad you are okay. I probably would have had a few silent tears let loose in the line at Starbucks.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Elle B. said...

Cocacy, girl that subway story is the worst - I think I would've cried for real. Thanks for sharing.

Berry, falling teaches us that it is important to have good healthcare, cus that's no joke.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home