Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It's Likely That I'm Wrong...

But I have no interest in sending songs that I wrote from personal experiences to A&R reps for newly signed talent, here's why:

1. I don't think that another person can sing with the same vain of emotion that I intended the song to have. It takes experience to really connect with the lyrics.

2. If the songs that I intended to write for my own album are being sung by artists now, then how would I expect to stand out from the rest?

Reason this came up: I mentioned in my last Quick and Dirty post that DJ OK asked me to write a "hit song" *yeah, I was thinking the same thing* for this Atlantic artist name Geannie. I wrote something that I thought was good, but what hit song is crafted in less than 48 hours *4 of which were spent on an SC game, 4 were spent clubbin', 4 were spent shopping...and then there was sleep* ? Anyways, when I get to his house on Sunday night, he says he doesn't like the hook. It's not "fire" or whatever. I'm like, okay *slightly perturbed, as well*

Today he asks me if I would be interested in sending any of the 3 songs I've written for my release. The thing is, the A&R people are looking for music for their artists. Hell.To.The.Naw.
They can have what I write for demos and money-making purposes, but not what I've written based off of what I've lived through for the above mentioned reasons.

What do you think?
Let me know in the comments.

*I'll be waiting*

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

You're writing songs for new artists? Aren't you always on the come up. :)Well, some artist break in this way, so it is worth considering. Seems more like an issue of pride. Then again,if you feel like someone will butcher something you put so much of your heart into, I can see why the thought of some half-ass vocalist using it for their project would trouble you.

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine if Dolly Parton said "I'm not letting that girl, Whitney, butcher my song that I'm going to record on my next album - she doesn't even know what I was thinking when I wrote it!" about The Greatest Love Of All. Put more emphasis on "in Training" and less on "Diva" and begin learing to accept heavy critisizem while you learn to be a songwriter. Me and the other songwriters wish we had the opportunity to have some up-and-coming artist, that is being heavily promoted, use one of our tunes. Just a thought.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Elle B. said...

I always appreciate good advice. Like Michael and anonymous said, it's probably a pride issue.

I'll try to limit the diva attitude. One of the reasons I was upset with DJ OK though was the fact that he didn't provide constructive criticism. I prefer to know how I can become better than to just be told, the song is not good or whatever.

I also think that music is so subjective and you can't tell how a song will develop as your put it together. So hearing a "no" without first doing a scratch and listening as objectively as possible (I wrote the song to a 1:22 snippet of the track), it's hard to tell if there is true potential.

Every song has its time. But it's also hard to just let mines go. I guess I've got to start somewhere, particularly with humility.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home