Thursday, November 17, 2005

Elle B's Hall of Fame: Tony Toni Tone

As I mentioned on my "Don't Sleep On..." post last week, Teedra Moses was a hint for this week's Hall of Fame inductee here at Elle B-dom. She's been featured on Raphael Saadiq's As Ray Ray release.

As a bona fide child of the 90s, Tony Toni Tone was as essential as breathing. They hail from my mother's hometown, Oakland, California but resound all over the globe for telling folks "It Never't Rains In Southern California."

*I'm still telling fools, man, they were from the bay...it does rain in LA*

Cuts like "Anniversary" or "It Feels Good" only touch the tip of the iceberg in terms of Tony Toni Tone's hits. Does "Slow Wine" or "Lay Your Head on My Pillow" meaning anything to anyone, but me? I should hope so.

This entry into the Hall of Fame is unlike the previous posts. When I listen to their music I have no choice but to reminisce. In the early 1990s I was still a prepubescent darling, but dammit I was singing Tony Toni Tone songs *along with En Vouge songs - but that's another Hall of Fame entry* in front of the mirror imagining I had the guts to speak to my crush of the moment. And having music that makes your remember where you were, when you listened to it *not because it preceded your existence, but because it was new to the world when you were also new to the world* has a special affect.

So in homage of Tony Toni Toni, I'd like for you all to comment on your favorite songs and memories if you've got any...

*I'll be waiting*

8 Comments:

Blogger Elle B. said...

I'll start...slouch socks and cross colours...and braids!!!

Favorite cuts:
Slow Wine #1
Anniversary #2
Lay Your Head on My Pillow #3

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It feels good yeah / It feels good
Oh it feels good / It feels good / sure feels good to me


That was hot!!!!!!!!!

Remember the Pajama Jam Party in House Party 2?!?!!! Yea..that was Tony Toni Tone.

I dont know if cats know bout them in the east coast tho...

-SH

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny that today's entry is about Tony Toni Tone...I was just listening to their best of album last night. I loved them back in the day (doesn't that sound funny since it was not that long ago-or was it??). Well, my favorite by far was "Lay Your Head on My Pillow"
-FLR

10:00 AM  
Blogger Rell said...

one of my roommates (my boy was my roommate for 2 years) absolutely loved "Anniversary" from Saadiq's live album.

When I say loved, i mean it's his #1 song of like all time.

For me "Lay your head on my pillow" was the best TTT song ever.

but "feels good" is the song i have the most memory for during my child hood.

the "oh oh baby" was sexual back in 92'!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Elle B. said...

So true Rell on the "Oh Oh Baby"

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anybody remember "Thinkin Of You"?

Thank was one of their later hits...had a real cool, jazzy vibe.

But I can do without the lyric...I've been stalkin.

-SH

12:52 PM  
Blogger ListenToLeon.net said...

I was listening to the "House Of Music" CD earlier today! I love Toni Tony Tone...That CD was HIGHLY slept on. It's a modern day classic in my opinion.

They were at the first concert I ever went to as the opening act(the Janet Jackson "Janet" concert). I saw them put on a great show. They even had this really good violinist performing with them during "Anniversary"

This brought back a lot of memories :)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Clay said...

i love tony toni tone - i need to get some more of their music .. can you send me an email and let me know how yoy got those pics on the side of your page like that??? claycane@aol.com

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home