Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Elle B's Hall of Fame: Jay-Z

It was coming.

I love this man.

If you know a
nything about me, then you are surprised I have not done this sooner.

This week Jay-Z is inducted in Elle B.'s Hall of Fame.
I am happy as hell Jay and Nas patched up their beef because now, I can write this post without anticipating the comments from people trying to argue why Jay is not better than QB's finest. It may still happen, but the likelihood has diminished.

As a bit of pretext, I am not a hip-hop head. So don't expect me to rattle of facts and hip-hop history like some would quote stats for their favorite ball players. The way it's always been in the Hall of Fame - I write from the heart, cus I choose the inductees from the same place. And like a fat kid loves cake, Jay-Z has a very special place in my heart.

For the man who only intended to make one record in his entire career we have:


1. Reasonable Doubt
2. In My Lifetime: Vol 1
3. Volume 2: Hard Knock Life *my first Jay record and probably the 1st one headed towards mainstreaming*
4. Volume 3: Life and Times of S. Carter

5. The Dynasty Roc La Familia
6. The Blueprint (fully mainstreamed Jay-Z
7. The Blueprint 2: The Gift and the Curse *should have been called ambivelance b/c that's how people felt about it*
8. The Blueprint 2.1

9. The Black Album

....so 1 became 9...

Here are my tops:

1. Politics as Usual, Reasonable Doubt *#1 Favorite Jay-Z song*

Politics as us-ual...
You feel my triumph never, feel my pain I'm lyin
Low in the leather Zion, the best that's ever came
The game changes like, my mind just ain't right
We 'gwan get this dough, I guess it ain't your night
( I wanted to post the whole verse, but it was a bit too long)






2. 22 two's, Reasonable Doubt

Too many bitches wanna be ladies, so if you a hoe I'ma call you a hoe, too many bitches are shady Too many ladies give these niggaz too many chances Too many brothers wannabe lovers, don't know what romance is Too many bitches stuck up from too many sexual advances No question, Jay-Z got too many answers

3. Come and Get Me, Vol 3: Life and Times of S. Carter

I got, shots to give come and get me nigga
Y'all wanna rob the kid? Come and get me nigga
I won't, part with this come and get me nigga
I worked, hard for this come and get me nigga
I got, shots to give, COME AND GET ME..
COME AND GET ME..

4. I Just Wanna Love You, Dynasty Roc La Familia *Best song from this album*


Huh, drunk of Crist', mommy on E
Can't keep her little model hands off me
Both in the club, high, singing off key
*And I wish I never met her at all...*






5. Takeover, Blueprint

When I was pushin weight, back in eighty-eight
you was a ballerina I got your pictures I seen ya
Then you dropped "Shook Ones," switch your demeanor
Well - we don't believe you, you need more people

And here is where I'll rest until next week. I want to know what are your favorite Jay-z lyrics, songs, guest appearances, albums even?

*I'll be waiting*

5 Comments:

Blogger Rell said...

Well personally I think he is among the greatest but he had some questionable albums as far as content.

Vol. 3, Blueprint 2 and Roc-La-Familia in my opinion were all AWFUL albums.

If you combined the four (blueprint 2 was a double) I think you have a seriously good album.

From Reasonable Doubt my favorite is "Feelin It."

Vol 2. I'mma be commercial and say "Hard Knock Life".
Vol. 3 - Snoopy Track (timbo KILLED that beat)

Dyansty - Hmmm it would be easy to pick "I just wanna love ya" but I'mma go with "1-900 Hustler"
B
lueprint has to be Song Cry/Never Change, both of those songs are crazy.

Blueprint 2 - I'm not even sure but probably "B*$#% and Sistas" because that song was so real.

The Blueprint 2.1 - Had to be the "You don't know" remix with MOP.

Black Album - Probably PSA, even though it's not a real song.

There those are mine...

11:46 AM  
Blogger Vandy said...

all hail jay-z...

*bows down*

should have been at the jay-z/nas show...

12:50 PM  
Blogger Elle B. said...

I effing love the You Don't Know remix...it's crazy!

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you argue against the merits of a man who routinely has the Neptunes, Timbaland,Kanye, and Jus Blaze on the boards and you STILL end up learning the words?

2:17 PM  
Blogger jb said...

"feelin' it" and "imaginary players" are personal favs from the glory years but "encore" makes my heart happy cuz as jigga said "its so mufucking soulful man". Anywy you may have already heard this but in case you haven't classic vintage Jay-Z with the now deceased Big L on the Stretch and Bobbito Show back in the day

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home